Tonight is a night of celebration for our guild as we cleared our first Cataclysm Raid in 10-man normal mode!
The downfall of Cho’Gall marks the clearing of Bastion of Twilight. Among the 3 final bosses in each Cataclysm raid, Cho’Gall is probably the easiest final boss encounter.
The Cho’Gall fight is a 2 phase-fight that relies mainly on Corrupted Blood debuff management, interruption of mind-controlled raid members and additional mobs management.
During the fight, Cho’Gall will summon Corrupting Adherents to aid him. These mobs will cast the following spells: Sprayed Corruption, Depravity (interruptible with 1.5 second cast), Corrupting Crash and Spilled Blood of the Old God (slimes come out when the Corrupting Adherents die).
When you get hit by these abilities, your Corrupted Blood debuff stack will increase. At the following number of stacks, the effects are as follows:
25 Corrupted Blood – Corruption: Accelerated – Your Corrupted Blood has gone to your heart and is accelerating, causing 2 stacks of Corrupted Blood for one minute. Magic dispellable.
50 Corrupted Blood – Corruption: Sickness – Your Corrupted Blood has made you sick, causing you to vomit and inflict 39000 – 41000 Shadow damage to friends in a 5 yard frontal cone. Also causes Corrupted Blood.
75 Corrupted Blood – Corruption: Malformation – A Malformation has grown out of your back which casts Shadow Bolts at nearby friendly players.
100 Corrupted Blood – Corruption: Absolute – You are transformed into a Faceless One, receiving 100% less healing but inflicting 100% additional damage and all your spells become instant casts. – MMO Site
It is absolutely imperative (tee hee!) that each raid member manage their Corrupted Blood stack. Avoid getting hit by anything!
We managed to kill Cho’Gall when our raid had only 3 people with Corrupted Blood. Two people had 10 stacks, while one had 20 stacks by the time we brought him down to Phase 2.
Phase 2 starts when Cho’Gall’s life goes down to 25%. Cho’Gall will be summoning 4 tentacles that must be killed as soon as possible. These tentacles will be channeling beams and those that get hit by the beams will have reduced healing and damage done by 75%. These beams are interruptible.
See. Pretty easy fight!
In a nutshell, the Cho’Gall fight goes like this:
1. When your Corrupted Blood debuff reaches 25 stacks, the Accelerated Corruption debuff must be dispelled. When it hits 50 stacks, you must face away from the other raid members to avoid vomiting on them.
2. When a tank is afflicted with Fury, the other tank should taunt the boss.
3. Any mind-controlled raid member should be CC’ed, stunned, feared, etcetera as soon as possible.
4. Stay out of fire, shadow and black areas on the ground.
5. Stay spread while the Corrupted Adherents are active. Kill them in a designated area as far from Cho’Gall as possible. Interrupt its Depravity ability and burn it down as quickly as possible.
6. Slow down the slimes and kill them quickly. Do not get hit by slimes.
1. When the boss hits 25%, he must be burned down quickly – pop all your cooldowns and trinkets.
2. He will occasionally spawn four tentacles, which must be burned down immediately.
-text from iPwn app (Free download from iTunes App Store, must-have for all WoW players! Requires iOS 4.2.1)
The fight might look complicated at first, but once everyone gets the hang of moving around and doing what they’re supposed to do, it’s a pretty easy and fun fight.
Cho’Gall Tankspot video: