Hey geeks, it’s a Friday night and guess what I’m doing?
I’m backing up my data! *monotone cheer*
(I can’t decide whether that’s a sad thing, or not, haha!)
Ah, gone are the days when I’d be out on a Friday night, dinner with friends and a few drinks afterwards.
I’m either getting old or getting boring :P
Anyway, while backing up my data I decided to make a review of the WD My Passport Air :)
Upclose and personal…
WD My Passport Air vs WD My Passport Essential
I decided to make a very quick comparison of the Passport Air versus my very old 320GB Passport Essential.
- The Passport Air really goes with a MacBook Air. They’re MFEO (Meant For Each Other).
- I really like the Passport Air as a portable hard drive. It’s very compact and feels durable in my hands.
- It gets a little warm to touch, though, after a while. Warm but not hot. I guess that’s a normal with most portable drives.
- It’s compatible with Time Machine. However, remember that if you do use it as a Time Machine back up disk, it’ll be formatted with an Mac OS Extended format making it inaccessible to Windows machines.
- For Mac users, the drive comes with a bunch of extra apps. But really, I’d rather delete them and use the space for something else.
- Performance-wise, the Passport Air is 30% faster than the Passport Essential. I backed up via Time Machine 50GB worth of data on both Passport Air and Passport Essential. The back up finished in 26 minutes on the Passport Air, while it took 36 minutes to finish on the Passport Essential.
Geek Girl Verdict
Well, a portable drive is a portable drive. The Passport Air works like any portable drive except that it looks better than most portable drive with its elegant, ultra-slim and all metal design. It’s also Mac-ready so it complements Mac users, most especially Air users. It’s only available in 500GB model so if you like a lot of space, you might get a little disappointed. I can imagine this pretty little thing living inside the laptop cases of high-powered businessmen and women :)
WD Passport Air retails for around $90 or around P3,600++. Decent price for a sexy-looking portable drive.
How about you? What do you think of the Passport Air?