My first encounter with the internet was in 1995 when my mom and I went to the US for vacation. I was 15 then.
We stayed in a family friend’s house and they had a computer there that was hooked up to the internet.
I don’t quite remember but for some unknown reason, I kind of knew how to use the internet.
The first website I remember visiting was Nickelodeon.com.
It was also then that I got play Diablo 1 over Battlenet. I also remember using the email service Juno.
When we got home to the Philippines, I convinced my dad to quickly avail of whatever internet service provider we had available in the Philippines then.
Our very first internet provider was the dial-up Virtual Asia or VAsia. I remember going to GTs (Get-Togethers) and meeting awesome people.
More Philippine Internet Memories
- My first ever online handle was Purple. This was my username in VAsia.
- Even then, you can already see that I was going to be a heavy internet user. We had to avail of another ISP because I kept going over the hours. We also had to avail of another landline.
- Our 2nd ISP was Broline. I also met good friends from Broline GTs.
- I used to own an IRC channel called #WaRfreaKz on the US Undernet Server.
- My first IRC handle was LeeYahGrl which I still occasionally use.
- The first ever MMORPG game I played was Ultima Online.
- I had this email address before – firstname.lastname@example.org /facepalm
- My first ever website made with HTML was hosted on Geocities.com. It was my self-proclaimed personal shrine ;)
- I also had a website named Femme Fatale. I’m so glad that no one will EVER see that website again.
- My first 1GB download was the Sims Online Game. It took me a week to download the whole installer.
I’m sure I have so much more memories of then. I just can’t remember anymore!
When you look back, the Philippine Internet really has gone a long way! I’m very excited and looking forward to what the future has to offer.
So many endless possibilities!
For an introvert like me, I’m really thankful for the internet and cyberspace as it is the only place where I can be heard and not be overwhelmed by the extroverts of the world.
The internet has definitely broadened my horizon and made me realize that the world has a lot in store for me.
Happy 20th Anniversary, Philippine Internet!
Share your internet memories! #20PHNet