If your significant other is a book geek, a GREAT gift idea would be an e-book reader.
In my case, I’ve been drooling over a Kindle for weeks.
So you can’t imagine how ecstatic I was when the Hubby gave me a Kindle for my birthday!
The Un-Boxing – Kindle Wi-Fi
The Kindle Wi-Fi
- New, High-Contrast E Ink Screen with Pearl Technology – 50% better contrast. The clearest text and sharpest images with latest E Ink Pearl display.
- Read in Bright Sunlight – Unlike LCD screens, Kindle’s screen reads like real paper, with no glare. Read as easily in bright sunlight as in your living room.
- Lighter Than a Paperback – At only 8.5 ounces and 1/3 of an inch thin, Kindle is lighter than a paperback and thinner than a magazine.
- Holds 3,500 Books
- Battery Life of Up to Two Months – A single charge lasts up to two months with wireless off based upon a half-hour of daily reading time. If you read for one hour a day, you will get battery life of up to one month.
- Built-In Wi-Fi -Connect to Wi-Fi hotspots at home or on the road. Includes free Wi-Fi access at AT&T hotspots across the U.S.
- Quieter Page Turn Buttons – Quieter page turning means you won’t disturb your partner when you want to read all night.
- Share meaningful passages with friends and family with built-in Twitter and Facebook integration.
- Read-to-Me – With Text-to-Speech, Kindle can read English-language content out loud to you.
The hubby got me a cover for the Kindle, too! He wanted to get me the cover with the built-in reading light. Well, he thought he did but apparently, he made a mistake and mis-clicked while he was ordering. He ended up getting me the basic cover without the reading light.
But it’s okay though, because if I were going to order the cover myself, I would have gotten the one without the reading light. I would rather get an external, separate reading light because I don’t want to stress over looking for a replacement for the built-in reading light of the Kindle cover when it burns out.
At least with an external reading light, I can just buy a new one.
There are a number of e-book readers out there in the market. But I like the Kindle for the following reasons:
1. It’s affordable at a low price of $114. ($139 if you’re going to have it shipped straight to the Philippines, as the $114 version is only for US bought Kindles)
2. There are a lot more Kindle accessories to choose from.
3. Most of my friends are Kindle owners. I have an instant support group if I need to ask for Kindle tips.
It’s so easy for me to read my e-books now. I used to read e-books on my laptop. But that limits me to sitting down in front of my desk. I would occasionally read on my iPod Touch with the iBook app, but with the tiny screen and even tinier fonts, my eyes would end up hurting after reading for a long period of time.
Now with the Kindle, I can read in bed (everywhere, actually!)… for hours, without my eyes hurting!
It takes a while to get used to the Kindle though if you’re used to using a tablet or any touchscreen gadget. It felt a little disorienting using buttons to navigate through the kindle. Once or twice, I actually tried to ‘swipe’ the screen to turn a page, hehe.
But other than that, I am immensely enjoying my Kindle! :) It’s turning out to be one of my favorite gadgets. A gadget I would always carry around ;)
I can’t say the same for the Hubby and Nachos, though! ;)
For those wanting to buy a Kindle, you don’t have to worry about how you’re going to buy it from the U.S. since they ship directly to the Philippines! :)
Link: Buy a Kindle