If you have a two-computer set up at home, the j5create Wormhole Switch Cable (JUC400) is one gadget you should definitely have.
At first, when the NextLevelGuys asked if I could take a look at the item, I sort of wrinkled my nose. For one thing, the name of the gadget was boring.
(I mean really, how exciting can the words ‘switch cable’ get? There’s nothing remotely cute or girly about a ‘switch cable’.)
But after some research here and there, I was begging for them to send me a sample to review!
So what exactly does a j5create Wormhole Switch Cable do? Watch this video and behold it’s awesome-ness!
I was like, “Waaaaaaw! I want one!” after watching the video.
At home, I have a two-computer setup. I have my 2007 MacBook Pro which is my ‘work’ computer while my iMac is where all the fun stuff are, like my games, my videos, music, books, etc.
Lately though, I’ve been using the iMac more because my MBP has been acting a little sluggish ever since I upgraded to OSX Lion. (Thinking of downgrading it to Snow Leopard)
However, since ALL of my work files are on my MBP, I keep on physically transferring from my iMac to my MBP. (Transferring requires standing up, moving my chair closer to the MBP, then sitting down again.)
Sometimes, I’d access my MBP via the Wi-Fi network and copy the file that I need to my iMac. (I’d even go the prehistoric way of using USB drives, hehe). But that extra step alone can be such a chore when I’m feeling extremely lazy.
I could transfer all my work files to my iMac to make my life easier, but I don’t want to pollute my ‘fun’ computer with work things. (Yes, I’m weird that way, and I like to compartmentalize.)
But now with the j5create Wormhole Cable, I can easily access all my files from one computer. No need to move when I’m all comfortably settled in my chair!
j5create Wormhole Switch Cable Photos
j5create Wormhole Switch Cable Features
- No installation CD is required, simply Plug-and-Play!
- Multi-display is supported between two connected computers with different operating systems (Mac to Mac, Windows to Windows, and even Mac to Windows!)
- Drag & Drop to transfer your data between two computers
- Save or Copy data, photos, music, and videos from a memory card between the two computers
- Supports the keyboard function for iPad with Apple USB connector
- Conforms to USB 1.1 for Keyboard/Mouse functions
- Conforms to High-speed USB 2.0 (480Mb/S) transfer rate
While I’m totally loving the j5create Wormhole Switch Cable, there are a few tiny little things that could be improved:
1. The incessant blinking of the blue light on the hub gets a little annoying after a while.
2. I notice that when you make the mouse cursor jump to the secondary computer, it gets difficult to do small movements with the mouse. Big movements are okay, but when you make small, precise movements, the mouse is not as responsive.
3. I wish they’d come up with a wireless solution. Cables can get a little messy, after all.
But those aside, the j5create Wormhole Cable is definitely one awesome accessory!
As for trying it out on a Mac/PC to iPad/Android set up, I’m still looking on where to get an iPad/micro USB to USB converter. When I get to buy one, I’ll update!
The j5create Wormhole Switch Cable is available for purchase online at an SRP of 1,750PhP. Also available at iStudio, Bonifacio High Street and Shangri-La branches.